The Unconventional Guide to Becoming a Decent Person
I want to start a new trend in today's society. A trend that I've seen in action recently but then almost immediately hulk smashed by something bigger and better. I won't give up and I hope neither will you. Most of you already have this handy guide stored away in your memory but have forgotten or it's "not the cool thing to do, bro" any longer. I disagree. I think it's time we all start being decent people again, ya' heard?
I have two guides: one for Christians (shout out to my Man, JC!) and another guide for those of you who prefer to not read scripture. Totes fine either way. Spoiler alert: It all boils down to the same shiz. First up, my Man, Jesus:
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
I know there are readers who do not follow a Christian faith and just seeing scripture in this post will completely be a "turn off". OK, bye. However, I ask you stick this one out to the end before you hang up your hat.
The reason this passage kicks ass is that it applies to every single person and it is essentially the foundation of "How to be a Decent Person" regardless of your spirituality.
The second guide is for those of you preferring to take a bullet point approach.
So let's break it on down:
- Be a sincere person, stop being fake. Authenticity and genuineness is where it's at. Also, stop associating with evil shit. Surround yourself with GOOD people.
- You are no better than anyone else so drop the judgy attitude.
- Work hard, stop being lazy. Serve a greater purpose other than yourself.
- Be appreciative of whatever you have (big or small) and get excited about it! Hope can never die.
- Be nice to others! Offer to help them if they need it, regardless if something teeny tiny like picking up a piece of paper they dropped on the floor. BE NICE to others, dammit.
- When people are hateful or rude to you, don't stoop to their level (they are clearly having the problem---not you) so let it be. Wish them a better day and get on with yours.
- Be happy for other people and don't be happy when they fail (that is just plain rude.)
- (See the second bullet point).
- Don't try to punish others or "pay them back" for hurting you. Revenge and resentment are like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
- Peace + You = non confrontational activities within your life. A calm existence; tranquility. BLISS.
That's TEN things. TEN. We do more things than that before we leave for work in the morning. I challenge, nay, DARE you to pick three of these bullet points and see if you can do them every day for a week. If you can...AWESOME you are 33% of a decent human being. Next step, add a few more until you can truly feel that you are a good person.
Being completely transparent here, there are several in this guideline that I need to work on. Mega time. Numbers 3, 4, 6, 7 off the top of my head but who is counting?
Go be a decent person. I double dog dare you.